I just finished listening to 30 hip hop albums in 30 days on Sunday as planned.
During the period starting on April 22nd, I listened to one album per day from the list I made. Here’s a look at my experience.
- I planned to listen to UGK’s Ridin’ Dirty but it wasn’t available so this is the only album I didn’t get to listen to.
- I listened to other albums not on the list so it’s actually more than 30 albums
- Many of the albums were West Coast albums so I presume the source where I got more of the recommendations was probably from the West Coast. I would have loved to listen to a bit more New York boom bap from that era but I still enjoyed all the G-Funk and Gangsta rap from Cali’ 1996.
- My favorite album to listen to from the list was Foesum’s Perfection. It’s definitely one of the finest G-Funk albums I’ve heard.
- Other surprising favorites – E-40’s The Hall of Game and Young Lay’s Black N’ Dangerous which both contain tracks with 2Pac that I hadn’t heard.
- I couldn’t really get into Too Short’s Gettin’ It.
Since I finished that 30 day challenge, I would like to continue by making another 30 albums that I want to listen to. Here’s the new list and this time I mixed it up into some random categories.
Loud Records Releases
- Tha Alkaholiks – 21 and Over
- Tha Alkaholiks – Coast II Coast
- Wu Tang Clan – Iron Flag
- XZibit – Man vs. Machine
- Xzibit – Restless
- Twista – Runnin’ Off at the Mouth
- Krayzie Bone – Thug On Da Line
- Gangsta Boo – Both Worlds *69
- Big Pun – Yeeah Baby
- The X-Ecutioners – Built From Scratch
- Big Pun – Endangered Species
- Common – Can I Borrow A Dollar?
- Common – Resurrection
Albums That Feature Production by Havoc (of Mobb Deep)
- Mobb Deep – Juvenile Hell
- Mobb Deep – Amerikaz Nightmare
- Mobb Deep – Black Cocaine
- Mobb Deep – The Safe Is Cracked
- Havoc – 13
- 50 Cent – Curtis
- 50 Cent – Before I Self Destruct
- Get Rich or Die Trying Soundtrack
- RA The Rugged Man – Legendary Classics Vol 1.
- Eminem – Recovery
- Raekwon – Shaolin vs Wu-Tang
- Method Man – 4:21… The Day After
- Da Youngstas – I’ll Make U Famous
- LA the Darkman – Heist of the Century
- Termanology – Politics as Usual
- Slam OST
- Jadakiss – Kiss of Death
I chose these two categories because I’ve listened to a lot of albums from Loud Records and Havoc is one of my favorite producers.
I’ll start listening from tomorrow April 24th until May 23rd.